Minnesota (3-0-0) got off the bus ready to go and dominated the first period against a Minnesota State team (0-5-0) that receives votes in both national polls. The #Gophers have scored three goals, including two on Grace Zumwinkle, and outscored the Mavericks 24-4 in the first 20 minutes. Minnesota picked up three more in the second as Norcross Savannah and Nelli Laiten scored their first goals of the season and Grace Zumwinkle scored his hat trick. Murphy Abbey, Taylor Heise, Peyton Hemp, madison kaiser and Ella Huber all goals added in the third.
Second year Skylar Vetter got his second straight start for the Gophers, stopping all 17 shots for his second career shutout. MSU’s Barbro stopped 32 of 38 shots before being relieved for Alex Berg.
“Just a really thorough effort today,” the head coach said. Brad Frost. “A great first half put a lot of pressure on Mankato, and we were able to score a few goals there. We continued to extend the lead from there. I’m really impressed with our team and the way they have made games and played. in a good way. Some great moments with madison kaiser and Nelli Laiten getting their first goals as Gophers and Grace Zumwinkle achieve the triple. All in all a great evening and I can’t wait to go back tomorrow.”
• With a hat-trick tonight, Grace Zumwinkle moves into sole possession of ninth place in program history in terms of career goals (88).
• First-year defenseman Nelli Laiten scored his first career goal seven seconds after Zumwinkle scored the hat trick.
• madison kaiser scored his first career goal in the third period.
• Nine different Gophers lit the lamp for the first time since December 1, 2013 against Princeton.
• Eleven goals is the biggest margin of victory in the all-time series between Minnesota and Minnesota State.
The Gophers and Mavericks wrap up this weekend’s series tomorrow afternoon at Ridder Arena. The puck drop is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.