- You can find your computer name on a Windows PC by opening the “About” menu.
- On a Mac, you’ll find your computer’s name in the System Preferences app, under “Sharing.”
- Your computer’s personal name is what others will see on networks.
Every computer has a few different names: its model name, its serial number, the mess of 1s and 0s your computer is called in binary. But most computers also let you give your device a personal name, which can be anything you want.
Both Windows PCs and Macs allow you to easily check your personal computer name and then change it if you wish.
How to Find Your Computer Name in Windows 10 or Windows 11
On Windows computers, you’ll need to open the “About” menu to find and change your computer’s name.
1. On your Windows PC keyboard, press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
2. Click it System option at the top left of the Settings page.
3. Scroll down the System menu and select About.
Your computer name will appear next to Name of the device. You can also find the serial number and model name of your PC on this page.
If you want to give your computer a new name, click the Rename this PC option.
How to Find Your Computer Name on a Mac
You will find the name of your Mac in the “Sharing” menu. You can also change it from this menu.
1. Click on apple icon in the upper-left corner of your Mac screen, then click System Preferences.
2. Near the bottom of the System Preferences menu, click Share. Its icon looks like a blue folder.
You will find the name of your Mac in the computer name text field at the top. You can click inside this field to edit the name as desired.